文法 #41 助動詞 would

[過去における単純未来:willの過去形]
  • I thought it would rain so I brought my umbrella.
  • In London she met the man that she would one day marry.
  • He left 5 minutes late, unaware that the delay would save his life.

[過去における意思未来:willの過去形]
  • He said he would go to a university.
  • I was perplexed because she wouldn’t receive the reward.
  • We tried to persuade him, but he wouldn’t change his opinion

[過去における習慣・習性・固執・能力:willの過去形]
  • Every summer we'd go to the seaside.(習慣)
  • Yesterday morning, the car wouldn't start. (固執)
※習性や能力はめったに使われないため割愛(willでもあまり使われない)

全てのwouldはwillから「何らかの距離」を含んだ表現を意味する。
  • 時における距離 → 過去
  • 実現性や可能性における距離 → 確度を下げる
  • 話者との距離 → 礼儀正しさや丁寧さ、非難

[推量]
  • I hear a whistle. That would be the five o'clock train.
  • Someone who liked John would probably love John's father.
  • This tool set would do, I think.

[丁寧な依頼・勧誘]
  • Would you mind looking after the children tonight?
  • Would you pass the salt please?
  • Would you like something to drink?
  • Would they mind if I came with you?
  • I would like a ticket to London, please.

[控えめな意志・希望・意見]
  • I would rather take a taxi than walking there. (意志 / 希望)
  • I would like to live in America in the future. (意志 / 希望)
  • It would be difficult for us to agree with your opinion. (意見)

[その他めったに使われない表現]
  • Be quiet! You would always make loud noises!(非難 ※子供に叱る時)
  • Would that it were true! (残念な気持ち ※詩的な表現)
  • Normally, we would work until 6 p.m. (習慣 ※現在)

日記 に補足があります。

文法 #34 助動詞の一覧
文法 #38 助動詞の過去形
→ 文法 #16 助動詞 will