文法 #71 to不定詞(形容詞用法)

[動詞の補語]
  • We seem to be lost. (SVC)
  • My birthday happens to be the same as my boss. (SVC)
  • He proved himself to be a liar. (SVOC)
  • Parents tell their children to study more. (SVOC)

[修飾される語が不定詞の意味上の主語]
  • I want a staff to clean the room.
  • Kathy is the last person to be late for school.
  • She was the first to come.

[修飾される語が不定詞の意味上の目的語]
  • I want something to drink. (他動詞の目的語)
  • He bought a book to give her. (他動詞の目的語)
  • I have elderly parents to look after. (前置詞の目的語)
  • The child wanted a toy to play with. (前置詞の目的語)

[名詞を修飾(補足説明)]
  • They gave him an opportunity to escape.
  • There is no need to shout.
  • I thought that was the best way to persuade her.
  • I made a decision to quit my company.

[関係詞+ to 不定詞(不定詞関係節)]
構造上は主語とbe動詞の省略と考える方が矛盾無く説明できるが、頻出の定型句となっているために便宜的に形容詞用法とすることがある。
→関係代名詞(what / whom / which)を修飾する:形容詞用法
→関係副詞(where / when / how)を修飾する:副詞用法
  • I don't need to increase what to put in this box any more. (上の分類で意味上の目的語)
  • I have no friend with whom to talk about it. (上の分類で意味上の目的語)
  • He's looking for an apartment in which to live. (上の分類で意味上の目的語)
whomやwhichは「前置詞+関係代名詞+to不定詞」の形で使われる。
→I have no fried to talk with about it. と関係代名詞を省略できるため。

日記 に補足があります。

→ 文法 #70 to不定詞(名詞用法)
文法 #72 to不定詞(副詞用法)